Focusing (Level 1) Online Course
“With Focusing, we learn how to welcome, acknowledge, and accept all our responses to life-whatever they are. We can feel all our variety and subtlety, all our richness and complexity.”
– Ann Weiser Cornell
Focusing is a process of inward bodily listening that allows for healing the most painful wounds and discovering our unique gifts. An embodied and relational approach to unwinding stress and trauma. First we learn how to be with the strong emotions and inner voices without merging with them or thinking that they are who we are. It is a profound way to self regulate and to support our children in not becoming merged with their own strong emotions and inner critics.
- Presence and Acknowledging
- Sensing and Describing
- The Role of the Focuser
- The Role of the Companion
- Focusing Partnerships
To be rejected by other people is a trauma… but hiding and rejecting parts of ourselves so we will not be rejected is also a trauma.
Did you have to face an impossible choice, to be yourself or be loved? This painful dilemma leaves us divided into partial selves, each trying to save our lives. One part of us tries everything to be accepted… and yet often fails. Another part of us rebels and defies, “Then I will be myself and be lonely!” But that doesn’t completely work either.
The healing of this split inside us starts to happen when we can acknowledge these different parts without being caught up in them. This is called Cultivating Self-in-Presence. In the Focusing training we will cultivate Self-in-Presence and then spend time with these two parts and engage them in a healing process.
I was in the middle of one of those pointless fights with my partner and suddenly I realized I sounded like a four-year-old.
“Go away, I hate you! You never listen!”
Worse: I felt like a four-year-old… little and helpless and overwhelmed.
Actually, it was great to realize that… because once I became aware of how I was feeling, and inwardly acknowledged it, the feeling started to change
Do you sometimes feel like a hurt little child is living your life?
It’s amazing how many of our current troubles are over-shadowed by the past.
We blow up at people or withdraw from them when they aren’t the ones who really hurt us. We hold ourselves back from taking chances because we got rejected a long time ago.
Wouldn’t it be great to have a way to starting healing the past so you can be yourself in the present?
Here’s something you can try right now…
- Start by thinking of something you’d really like to be able to do… but somehow it feels too hard, like too much of a stretch, or too scary. Perhaps it’s asking someone for help, or giving a public talk, or creating your own website.
- Rest into your body awareness for a few minutes. Feel your breathing. Feel your contact with what you are sitting on. Feel your throat… chest… stomach…
- Say to yourself, “something in me doesn’t want to do that ____________” [you can say what it is]. See if you can feel the “something” that is holding back from doing it.
- See if the “something” that doesn’t want to do it feels young, younger than you now.
- Say to that part of you that you are here with it now… and sense what it wants to show you about what happened to it. Let it know you hear it. That’s all you need to do.
- 5-week online sessions (5 x 2 hours)
- 3 practice sessions
- Online Sessions on Zoom
Weekly sessions are for 2 hours, on the following dates/time zones:
|NY/NJ time (EST Time)|
8:30pm - 10:30pm
|HK Standard Time (UTC+8)
8:30am - 10:30am
|April 9th||April 10th (Presence and Acknowledging)|
|April 16th||April 17th (Partners connect this week and practice with each other)|
|April 23rd||April 24th (Sensing and Describing)|
|April 30th||May 1st (Partners connect this week and practice with each other)|
|May 7th||May 8th (The Role of the Focuser)|
|May 14th||May 15th (Partners connect this week and practice with each other)|
|May 21st||May 22nd (The Role of the Companion)|
|May 28th||May 29th (Focusing Partnerships)|
USD $295 per person